Monday, November 23, 2009

Review: chariots - Hikari

I might as well do this one since I've just literally finished reviewing Hai.

Since this single came out a little over a month ago I've had time to let this grow on me so I can come to a good decision about how I really feel about this in the end. I have to say that the subsequent single Hai has many things over this single but there are a few things on this single worth checking it out. That's the main focus of this review - to point out all the things that this inferior single has that's worth at least pirating it.

cigar is a better opening track than Fall ash for the sole purpose that it has thought put into it. The latter track sounded like uninteresting crap whereas cigar catches you at the beginning with some reverb vocals and straightforward but catchy guitar. There's no epic solo or beautifully sung lines here but it does it's job of opening up the single for you. If you're into opening tracks then this is a pretty good addition to your growing collection. What I don't like about this track is that it doesn't lead into Dazzle right and it goes on for a little too long. Also, this track could have been a lot more had the band worked on it and fleshed it out. For what it is though, cigar is one of the better of it's breed in the "crap we stick at the beginning to make our CD look like it's worth your yen".

DAZZLE is crap in disguise. The song starts out very interesting but then it hits a very bland chorus that does nothing for me and sinks the song faster than the Titanic. The little portion where everything suddenly stops before a rough guitar comes raging in was pretty cool and is actually the only part of the track I can remember. The vocalist makes everything else sound bland and uninteresting as if you've heard it all before and as I said the chorus is just all around average. If this is supposed to be the A-side to this single then I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not even that avid of a chariots listener and I know this band can do so much better than this.

The final track (I can't figure out if it's romanized Zan Kage or Zanei) has tons of whammy bar abuse in the guitar lines and a very repetitive guitar line at that. This repetitive guitar line actually drives the song because it's less of a "look for the technologically advanced shit" and more of a "bang your head and enjoy your energy faggot". On any normal occasion I would hate songs like this but Zan Kage manages to do this by sprinting at 100 kilometers an hour and having verses that pack some attitude. The chorus is a little neutering and makes the song feel like a new spin on an older classic but the fantastic solo makes up for that little blunder. I'd much rather this be the A-side since I actually remember what it sounded like after it finished (whereas I forgot what DAZZLE sounded like by the time I hit the chorus of this song).

As I said before, Hai is a definite step up from this single all around but I still recommend checking out the final track because it comes packed with some groove and a pretty good solo. Everything else here is pretty much a skip unless you've got another reason for liking said tracks.

Final Judgment: Average.

No comments:

Post a Comment