Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Review: amber gris - Joukou 8000ft -Shounen wa Tengoku he Todoku no ka-

That's one hell of a title amber gris.

In my book it is an unspoken word of thumb that anything with an absurdly long title is destined to be a slower paced track full of either awesomeness or dullness. For example, the track Kono Sekai ni Mihanasaretemo by Shinkou Shuukyou Gakudan NoGoD (whose name itself proves this rule as well as serves up a nice slice of awesome while they're at it) is an extremely plodding track that's a chore for me to sit through (sorry gaiz). On the other side, chariots' Canvas ni Kakareru wa Haiiro de Nuritsubususareta Risou no Kimi happens to be one of the best tracks that group has ever put out and is a six minute descent into as close to goodness as chariots has gotten in a while.

So as I sat there downloading this because the good folks on Tainted World alerted the forum to the fact that the former vocalist of Ruvie, Temari (a band I've never heard of) was coming back to form this band as well as a few other notable musicians, I started to wonder how this first release by the band would sound. Most of the time when people on TW tell me a vocalist is good, good amounts to the vocalist sounding akin to vomiting rabbit ears while squeezing his balls and jamming tampons in his ears. Needless to say, unless the few people with good ears tells me to check out a band I probably won't.

Joukou 8000ft -Shounen wa Tengoku he Todoku no ka-, by the very definition of this rule was either going to be one of the best experiences that I've ever sat through or a big waste of time.
http://www.nautiljon.com/images/cd/amber_gris/joukou_8000ft-shounen_wa_tengoku_he_todoku_no_ka-.jpg
Joukou 8000ft -Shounen wa Tengoku he Todoku no ka-
01. Giniro no COFFIN
02. sinker.
03. lizard skin.

"Ambergris (Ambra grisea, Ambre gris, ambergrease, or grey amber) is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull gray or blackish color produced in the digestive system of sperm whales. Ambergris has a peculiar sweet, earthy odor. The principal historical use of ambergris was as a fixative in perfumery, though it has now been largely displaced by synthetics."


I have no idea what amber gris has in common with sperm, whales, sperm whales, or perfume but I do know that amber gris is bloody fuckin' terrific. I'm also aware that this isn't everyone's type of rock music. Hell, it took me about ten or fifteen runs at this single before it clicked with me. Of course, I'm normally do not expose myself to this type of rock so if you're looking for a good band to compare sounds with, I'd go with either cocklobin or 9GOATS BLACK OUT. Even though they may not be exactly the same, the best way to go about determining whether or not you would like this is if you just listened to it for yourself.

I'm not too enamored by the first track, Giniro no Coffin. There's really nothing wrong with the track but the following two tracks are done better. I feel as if this track is just a little too tame for my A-side tastes. I listen to it occasionally but it isn't the track that made me the amber gris fan that I am. I even confirmed this myself with my friend Greg, who claimed the second track to be far superior. sinker. has some funky strumming as well as more memorable vocal lines. The boys here (yes they're all men - I just have to state that now) certainly don't mind playing around with the rhythm and structure of the track. It's the shortest track but it delivers in both attitude and satisfaction. I would have personally chosen this to be the single on the album.

My personal favorite would be lizard skin. It has the perfect blend of hard rock and uniqueness that make this what could be a fan-favorite sometime down the line. With just one release under their belt it's too soon to describe what could be the "amber gris sound" but it's also different from the two tracks that have come before it. Temari does some screaming, something that fans of Ruvie have said that he's never done and the guitar lines can be considered complex compared to what the first two tracks have shown. It's a different sound but it's welcome from a starting band that's trying to find their way.

Overall, Joukou 8000ft -Shounen wa Tengoku he Todoku no ka- is yet another one of those singles that I'd recommend you take the time to listen to. I might have done a pretty crap job at reviewing this single but that's because I'm more interested in listening to it than talking about it.

And that, my fine gentlemen, is the mark of a good set of songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment