Sunday, August 23, 2009

Review: ALSDEAD - S.a.g.A

I find the cover interesting:

- The 02 in the corner could mean it's the second single or that there are two tracks within, but it could also be the amount in grams that morphine pills are dispensed. It could also have to do with the two drugs involved with what I'm going to get into below.
- The Chemical Formula printed upside down (c17 H19 N03) is a chemical called Hydromorphone, which is a morphine derivative.
- The CAS Registry number for Hydromorphone (and morphine) is 57-27-2.
- 285.4 is the molecular weight for morphine.
- F99 is linked to organic mental disorders and guess what? Morphine is used to treat it.
- C17H21NO is an antihistamine or sedative and you probably own it in a bottle called Benadryl.
- Morphine + Benadryl = rush

So I'm guessing this single is morphine related...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjhpZO5lmUmCYlDctDTiq_Gyxm7oQDHAMpBkhSnWDAcZJPmGGjzf48QIuEYcTb3vTs29cvcmAmO2dXJDJ-vdP16zYy8nkQKVe9rv52YBWtd-0qerhFttq4jljhacKWH52vLdYBH6mM86jY/s400/SAGA.bmp
01. S.a.g.A
02. F99

S.a.g.A. is a pretty solid A-side but it can't compare to Violent of Reason in any fashion. I'm not going to compare a good song with a better song when the loser is pretty obvious so I'm just going to stick with why this hard and fast song is pretty good for what it is and compared to lots of other songs in this genre. One is that ALSDEAD actually nailed the transition from hard to poppy chorus without any complaints from me. It's smooth and sounds natural, instead of a forced, spliced introduction. The slight maneuvers they do during the chorus to lead you right back into the hard patterns are also pretty good and show some skill. Maki's singing is rough but solid and is pleasant to listen to and S.a.g.A. doesn't screw up anywhere. S.a.g.A. is a good way to start off the single.

F99 has to be the most experimental track these guys have put out so far in my listening spree and this probably has more to do with the drug motif than the last track. I have no idea what to call this introduction to the track but I certainly do like it and the song itself doesn't disappoint. Maki's singing is beyond awesome in that weird, sustaining way that leaves you wondering where they will go with it. The effects mixed with the guitars are done very well and I like the entire feel this song gives off. In the world of VK, this sounds unlike anything I've ever sat down and listened to before and by the time this mindfuck of goodness was over for the first time I automatically knew I would like this song (just like an addictive drug). Give this a try.

Wow I made F99 sound like a drug...

So at the end of the day it's yet another ALSDEAD single, which means it's good, which means I don't have to recommend it to you because you should be listening to it already. You are? Good job.

Leave me to mix my Benadryl and Morphine.

Score: 90%

No comments:

Post a Comment