Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Review: Virgil - Judgment # 005 Omnibus

In this review I will only tackle Virgil's song at the end because I am too lazy to go track down the rest. I have become increasingly disinterested in looking up and liking Visual Kei indies bands because their releases are hard to locate and they tend to break up before they get better. The reasons why they break up are understandable but it's just not worth my time and effort.

Another reason why I opt to review a Virgil song today is because their new two-type single was released. I don't have that but I did manage to find this today so in lieu of that release I will do this one. I highly doubt most people even know that this band exists but for those that do, you will be rather happy with this one song.

http://www.heartless.jp/icon/judgment005_jacket.jpg
I don't give a fuck it's on here somewhere...

Remember the whole broken stone awake sevendays double release they had going on a few months back? They gave us five songs in total and this one song is harder than anything on those five releases. The song in question is called Around the World and it's a catchy rock piece with very simple guitar riffs and standard drumming. I would expect to make something like this myself or go to a random garage band and hear them play this. Virgil stripped all that made their music sound distinctive and tried to go for that "heavy sound contrasted with light vocalist" and they did well....up until the chorus. The whole "alound the world! alound the world! alound the world!" portion of the lyrics are as irksome as the Black Stars chorus from Sadie's Kagerou single and drag the song down.

Haku's voice is fine when he doesn't try to stress his death metal chants but I don't like it here. Those growls sound horrible and I get the impression he choked on some Listerine beforehand but they do not feature heavily in this song so it isn't too much to deal with.

So, what is my main problem with this song? If I can put it simply it's that I don't like it. With their last release, I was lenient since I figured it was their first release and they could improve given time. With this song, Virgil took a step back and played it safe. The only thing that both the releases I have heard have in common is that it shares a disjointed, haphazard nature. Virgil has no musical flow. All of the musicians sound like they recorded their tracks seperately and then overlayed them with one another and it just happened to come out sounding the way it does. I expect more from this band - way more. These aren't newcomers to the musical scene so can anyone tell me why their music sounds so uninspired and boring?

Oh yes, I forgot. This is Visual Kei.

Score: 48%

No comments:

Post a Comment