Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fangasm: Shinko Syukyo Gakudan NoGoD - Mr.HEAVEN

If NoGoD has done nothing else for me in my entire life, it has made me appreciate one person more than anything in the entire world. Well, two people actually because it took the person to buy the CD in the first place and then send it to my dear friend who was kind enough to send it to me. This review wouldn't be possible without them. So now, as I polish the MP3 that I now have playing over and over again in my iTunes while my dead MP3 player sits next to me, I have to admit: this song is pretty damn good.

http://www.artpop.org/k/records/img/apcrd-0901g.jpg

1.Mr.HEAVEN
2.Mr.HEAVEN (団長仲間外れVersion)
3.Mr.HEAVEN (Kyrie&Shinno愛の逃避行Version)
4.Mr.HEAVEN (華凛お花摘みVersion)
5.Mr.HEAVEN (K引き籠りVersion)

I think she punked me...Italic

LOOK AT THE COVER FOR CRYING THE FUDGE OUT LOUD! Is that supposed to be God, or Mr.HEAVEN with the Lion King mane and the pimp cane? And the clouds in the background with the bright sun and the feather down surrounding the cover? Are you kidding me? This song definitely has to be oshare-kei.

*readies himself to hear Dou. Again.*

But fear not, because it isn't. Despite the lame name that this song comes with, it's about as heavy as Zesshoku from the Gokusaishiki album. Or, even earlier on than that, Seshuuka from the Midori no Kaze single. Or if you want to find a song more commercially accessible, think Tsumibatsu Egoist from the Mugen Kyou album.

I say "commercially accessible" because finding this song is next to impossible unless you have some good friends willing to share that have the physical CD. And no, I am not distributing MP3 copies of this song, so do not ask me. I don't even have the entire copy, just the one track that matters.

So once you have one of those songs at your fingertips? Good, because that's as close as you're going to get until NoGoD releases their mini-album in September, which this song is going to be on. So yes, don't ask me to share. I won't.

Back to the song (and when I find the name of the girl that bought this single, I will give her a virtual cookie), it's full of the heaviness that I didn't find on Gokusaishiki. Sure, I liked the album and I still do, but it missed that one definitive track that makes it stick out long after you've finished listening to it over and over. Hell, Mugen Kyou had three in my humble opinion, but after I was done with Gokusaishiki I started to feel like the only hard track there was Zesshoku.

Now I realize that they did it in two parts and that Gokusaishiki was likely meant to be the lighter, more melodic portion of this double release.

I gave you those three songs beforehand because I can give you a general audio description of Mr. HEAVEN using those three tracks. Tsumibatsu Egoist and Seshuuka gets the mention because the song starts out very similarly to the both of them and K has some double-pedal action going on all throughout. K does some cymbal action before the song launches off in one ear before the other two come in and start on a sick, heavy riff. The delivery of the verses can best be summarized in the song Saikou no Sekai (Mugen Kyou and I didn't even notice this the first time around. One of my friends pointed this out to me) whilst the build-up to the chorus and even the chorus itself remind me a lot of how it was styled in Zesshoku. In the verses, there are obviously two guitars going on but excluding the bass there's another guitar doing some random riffage here and there reminiscent of the solo that would come up a half-a-minute later. Speaking of the solo, it is also pretty damn great, having some groove in the Shinno's guitars while some crazy, ridiculous solo played by Kyrie is played on top, and I'll bet a good chunk of cash it's being played on the neck. Supported by some drums and a rapid bass section thanks to Karin (epic trap) and you have one hell of an instrumental section backing Danchou. There's no way he can fail with a song this strong.

Don't get me wrong, this song doesn't sound a lot like any of the songs that I put above. In fact, it sounds very distant from a lot of the heavier pieces they've put out recently. It sounds like a mix between Kanna Fukyou period and Mugen Kyou with better mastering, an ever-present bass weaving in and out, and a little bit of oshare sprinkled in over the chorus. I say a little because the chorus is definitely lighter compared to the rest of the song, but the lead-in that the band does before it launches bridges the gap between rough and hard. Think of how the chorus in Kurohai compares to the rest of the song, and you have a good understanding of what I mean.

I've mentioned everyone but Danchou so he gets a mention in the paragraph below.

His singing hasn't gone any worse, like tons of other vocalists. He didn't get much better, but he was freaking excellent to start with so him "getting progressively better" isn't that much of an issue to me. What gets me about the way this song rocked my iTunes is how he sings his verses. There's attitude here and that sudden one-second pause around 0:52 works so subtly what would turn me off in any other song has me leaning closer to my computer begging for more to come out. He brings back the "woah-oh-oh's" from Shukufuku no Uta, but they're artfully weaved in and part of the sare-mo and the kachi-wo and not their one sing-along section for all us Japanese fans not in Japan.

It's just him this time too; he didn't rent a whole choir to sing along in the background.

So I can't rate the single because I don't have the last four tracks (which is why it's not in it's usual format), but I would bet that it wouldn't sound the same with one of the instruments missing. As for the instrumental, I think it would be epic but not as good in some parts because Danchou isn't there to fill out those lagging parts (like the chorus; it isn't good enough to hang without Danchou. The racing verses are another story though). So what do I think of Mr.HEAVEN? I say it's one of the best songs they've put out. Ever. It's a shame that I can't actually buy it but that untitled as-of-yet mini-album that's going to come out in September has my money already set aside for it.

I. Want. This.

No comments:

Post a Comment