Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review: Nega - illegitimacy

I'm actually feeling rather drained today and I haven't done a lone post of anything of Nega since that atrocious album I believe so today I decided to put a mixture of effort and laziness together and talk about a single that has two songs that haven't made an appearance anywhere else.

HOW KEWL IS DAT? Not very but it's something, and I'd have to do this eventually.

http://japanesemusicdream.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/cover36.jpg

01. PSYREN
02. illegitmacy

I don't know whether to classify Psyren as an instrumental or not but it fails either way. I'll pretend it's both and discuss why. On a two track release having an opening instrumental is lame and a waste of time and space. If it is an instrumental it's a bland one. It obviously includes sirens going off in the background but that's the most interesting part of the song since everything else seems to loop for two and a half minutes. Psyren is also very short for a song but very long for an instrumental, leaving this track in that grey area of unclassifyable. I'm not even going to mention how annoying Jin's vocals are in this but it's very fucking annoying. His screams are off-beat and disgusting, his whispers are repetitive and the entire track lacks any sort of pacing. As a song Psyren doesn't do anything other than repeat itself and suck.

So we're left with the track I suppose Nega wanted us to hear and that would be illegitimacy. The track is heavy, dark, full of nicely fitting ambient sounds, listenable singing and nice transitions. There are a few things that I dislike about this track. The first is obvious: it's 7:22 and the last minute is completely unnecessary and doesn't come to it's own until the last seven seconds. It would have been epic if it had just ended without the piano. The second IS the little slowdown with the piano. It doesn't feel right and the hard, horrorcore atmosphere was so much better. I could live with two if it weren't for the first since I actually think that the abrupt ending would have been cool. The beginning is also a little shaky since it transitions from sirens to heavy guitars but that's a bit of an excessive reason for me to not like this song. What illegitimacy does right it does excellently but everything else is meh at best.

So now I know why Nega didn't include this song everywhere else but this really could have been re-recorded for Grave of the Sacrifice. Psyren is unsalvageable but fix up illegitimacy a little and you have a pretty ominous track. The way it stands is that both tracks suck but illegitimacy (the song) is worth taking a second look at (if you can sit through it two times).

Recommended:

illegitimacy

Score: 56%

No comments:

Post a Comment