Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review: Miyavi - Jibun Kakumei

This is another one of those Ryuusei deals, where I fiddle with the scroll bar until I come across something mildly interesting to review. I was torn between "City of Evil" and this. I feel that if I do "City of Evil" now I won't do as much of a good job as I can so this is what we get. That, and I want to keep all the J-rock together more or less until I'm done, and then I'll put in all the other music I have. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have that much more to go through. I think I will be done by August o_o

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgERM00Xq0aWyg_qXVuSb_WlJ2xrTLwdZmFgOnA2JdKlWatY5mFGle8nKWiVwhjt2Yxe11rndJkvNOFmaMf4bzfIeUHJu45IWatGQhFlTKlEAbWS6K2UcWUe2TvqqwJHbUVevSNDVksXkc_/s320/Cover.jpg
01. Jibun Kakumei -2003-
02. Ekisentorikku Ontona Yamai
03. Sungee Maemukina Uta 2

Jibun Kakumei -2003-

One of the six singles that weren’t placed onto Galyuu, and that’s probably because he has so many if he stuck them all on it wouldn’t be that much of an “album”. It’s actually quite apparent once you listen to Galyuu that this song wouldn’t have fit in on that album anyway. Even though it would fit lyrically, it comes off as an EBM-tinged rock fest with slightly modified singing. I can’t think of anything before Room no. 382 that sounds like this. This very quality is probably why the re-make of this track lends itself to techno remixes well. It’s eccentric, upbeat sound is very different from what he’s released beforehand but it still carries his typical quirky behavior and attitude. It’s proof that Miyavi isn’t a one trick pony and is interested in new musical directions. Even now I’m not too fond of this track no matter how much passion he injects into the verses or how much fun he sounds like he’s having during the chorus (although at one part he admittedly sounds very raspy). This just isn’t my cup of tea, but it doesn’t suck.

8/10

Ekisentorikku Ontona Yamai

Ekisentorikku Ontona Yamai is one solid, eccentric rocker. It's got a galloping riff movement going on during the verses, Miyavi's vocals alternate between sung and said extremely fast and it's got some weird noises in the middle in lieu of a solo that I don't quite get even now. It's pure Miyavi, completely insane, and completely original in almost every aspect of it's construction. Being one of the songs I fell in love with at first and put on repeat over and over again, this song will have you struggling to learn the lyrics and then keep up with Miyavi as he sings it.

9/10

Sungee Maemukina Uta 2

The beginning is also very un-Miyavi-like, with light violins setting the atmosphere before some soft distortion, some whispering, and then some guitar all in quick succession. Much more than many other Miyavi songs, the bass is rather prominent and does the job that the guitars usually steal from it. Sungee Maemukina Uta 2 is also riddled with bells and whistles such as….bells and whistles and the sounds of clocks ringing occasionally. The song is Miyavi’s signature quirkiness in prime form, with a breakdown that takes the song in a new direction without being overbearing and vocals that sound like Miyavi’s having fun singing. Dammit, he says “cha cha cha”! What kind of artist that takes themselves too seriously does that? It feels like the perfect counterpart to Jibun Kakumei (and I personally like this one better anyway).

8/10



What are we left with? Another experimental Miyavi single that's rather hit or miss. I don't like Jibun Kakumei too much as a track, and the second one was featured on Galyuu (so this single represents somehow; I actually don't think Miyavi meant for Jibun Kakumei to be the successful song because it's too out there for all his fans to enjoy) so it's like this single was not completely forgotten. It's not Miyavi's strongest effort, but it's far from his weakest. It falls into that grey area of "forgotten" to me, but it shouldn't to you.

Score: 83%

1 comment:

  1. And again you go disrespecting MIYAVI!!!!

    he is one of the most crazy yet energentic guitarist in Visual Kei World (to my view)

    and yet YOU don't like this track too much?! why, is it bugging your ears too much? it's called: "LOWER THE GODDAMN VOLUME!!!!!!"

    i swear you got no respect at all. he is a father of two wonderful beautiful girls and he is a husband to a gorgeous woman name Melody.

    if Miyavi and/or Melody are reading this, they will find you and SUE YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete