Thursday, July 2, 2009

Review: Versailles - Aesthetic Violence

It feels like I've done a lot more Versailles than I have. In an effort to not get bored, I think I'll review a release of a different kind today. Perhaps, a concert...


http://www.puresound.co.jp/gazou/102000609000.jpg http://www.puresound.co.jp/gazou/102000608000.jpg http://www.puresound.co.jp/gazou/102000610000.jpg
http://www.puresound.co.jp/gazou/102000607000.jpg http://www.puresound.co.jp/gazou/102000611000.jpg

Now, if you could do me a favor, please take a look at this link.

Did that seem completely unrelated? Well if it did I'll explain. I dubbed this a "concert" at the beginning, yet that's really the only thing that's included with this release. Yes, that's the "concert", taken straight from the Jasmine You version of this release. It's not really a "concert", but more of a bunch of live clips synced to the Shouts & Bites song off of Lyrical Sympathy.

I could do that >_>.

Then right after that you get an interview with each of the members of Versailles, the member interview depending on the one you buy. This is also borderline useless, since they're all in Japanese and you won't understand a word they say unless you speak it or somehow subtitle it. If you have some craving desire to see all the interviews with all the members, then you have to buy all the versions.

If it's some consolation, you get some perfume, corresponding to each of the members. Once again, if you want all the perfume you have to buy all the editions and I'm really thinking that this is really what this release is all about. It reminds me a lot of Phantasmagoria's releases. There's still a catch though: the perfumes are extremely small. Here's a nice visual of what I mean:

Image

It seriously looks like that perfume won't fill that vial twice...

So let's recap. You're paying around 50 dollars for a video I just showed you for free, an interview you won't understand and some small perfume, which really means you're paying 50 dollars for the pretty box and some custom-made perfume, which smells nice and strong but which there isn't a whole lot of (god forbid you break the damned thing). I love Versailles to death but this is really a shameless way of taking your money by cleverly disguising the actual product so you're surprised when you get it.

Maybe that's what they mean by Aesthetic Violence.

Note to reader: if you haven't gotten the overly obvious point by now I don't recommend you buy it. Any of it. However, if you insist on buying it get the one with your favorite member.

1 comment:

  1. And STILL you don't have any respect to all Visual Kei Bands!!!
    Look, I don't CARE that you love Versailles to DEATH but you got no respect to yourself or to anyone at all!!

    ReplyDelete