Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Review: Shinkou Shuukyou Gakudan NoGoD - Batsu

The title is more significant than it lets on. It literally feels like punishment doing this considering my state of music at the moment (read: not much), but I like NoGoD and I like Batsu (read: my favorite NoGoD single to this date). My computer is also acting up at the moment, so some spiteful overlord really does not want me to post on the first of July...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg-_wC4WddHGmXCcq3pn5MgzTzgHvq8gwxahGTypidALSTBVT5FOwK3yEgOtobMKOo8yJ-24fFYHScmyKbkCC-E1v6SPL6TKcVsVO_opAWYZBcx41yfr7JpoI5X-sVV0lv21FHhqLFUSEw/s320/Cover.jpg
01. Tsumibatsu Egoist
02. Strawberry Night
03. NO GOD

Tsumibatsu Egoist plummets into the depths of pure heaviness with astonishing low vocals from Danchou and a speed metal drumbeat from K. It’s badass and addictive, and is a damn good song. It's a definite change from their usual sound and although it sounds darker than the average pop rock fan may find comfortable, one cannot admit that the song is as catchy the first time around as it is the fiftieth. The solo from Kyrie is even fantastic, and the little piece with just Shinno showing off for a few seconds compiles probably the most memorable solo on this disc. A must-listen, no matter if you like this band or not.

Strawberry Night is a re-recording from the track on the Tenbatsu Enban EP, and this one defecates all over the previous one. It no longer sounds like a Power Rangers intro, and has some wild guitar playing going on no less than twenty seconds in. Strawberry Night borrows some of the darkness from the title track and the chorus goes up in pitch but it fits better than expected. There is no solo per se and for once it's Shinno shining and not Kyrie, which is a nice change. The end is also a bit better than the one on Tenbatsu Enban, making this re-recording the only Strawberry Night you'll need to hear.

NO GOD is somewhat of an epic on this album, reaching almost seven and a half minutes in length. I find this song perfect and I don't even mind the length, but I really do feel as if it could have gone without the screaming at the end. NO GOD is also a rerecording of a track from the LOOP OF LIFE VI omnibus, and I sometimes like to pretend that the old version doesn't exist because it sounds awful compared to this version. It's almost cancer-inducing to compare. It gives me flashbacks of Tsumibatsu Egoist but it's dark in it's own right, and from the light acoustic strumming to the screaming and coughing at the end, this song had me hooked and I hope it has you hooked too. Another listen.

So I reach the end of Batsu, and if you haven't noticed each song on this single is recommended heavily. Go listen and download because getting your hands on a physical copy will be very difficult. I do not condone piracy....[/entire speech]. I'm not feeling in the best of moods because my stomach is not agreeing with me so I'll leave this with a 10/10 and pretend you didn't hit up a P2P application to get your hands on these.

Agreed?

No comments:

Post a Comment