Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Review: VanessA - Vortex

I haven't done a VanessA review in a while, and of course since I noticed I was going backwards this single is what would have come up next. I'm not too crazy about this single overall, but it has it's good parts. Those good parts being not the first track, which I would mark down as one of the worst songs they put to music ever. The other two, well, they're digestible...

Did I mention how atrocious and putrid this album cover is? They didn't even try...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjGLdv2Drg9xv7JJBlQX-H4wFhwGEHNEM_-fe4S_D9iIz-M5IsMPnf6vWWGILTfvyfR5ajcENrxbov2ViF_wApndxFEd1FteLN0kVtWaq2Du8jTM7o07kiiQ2AXr756_baEXTr2q3Tzxzw/s200/5umzx0.jpg
1. Vortex
02. another CHAOS
03. B.M. Metamorphose - Another Side-

Vortex

I realize as I say this now that I have a lot of “I don’t like” tracks by VanessA, but this one manages to repulse me in a completely unique way. I prefer alive=terror to this track, and I prefer a lot of things to alive=terror. A turkey sandwich? Sure. Sex? Of course. A passing course in one of my college courses? Most definitely. But this? THIS? No, I do not. The entire beginning, where it sounds like Genki’s strumming his lips is a complete turnoff and fails trying to sound insane. The chorus is better than the inaudible verses marked by random growling that would fit in if I heard some words that weren’t whispered or muttered under Genki’s breath, but the falsetto in the chorus is annoying and atrocious. The singing at the end should have been what was going on the whole time, but if I have to wait that long for it to get decent (and then the kuchibiru-strumming returns -_-) I’d just skip. Which I do. Regularly. And so should you, because this is not VanessA.

4/10

Another CHAOS

It starts out with a rising noise that launches into some rocking guitar, which is exactly what I’m looking for. Genki’s vocals are closer to his safety range and he doesn’t try anything experimental that would ruin the track. It’s not like he had the time to anyway. This song isn’t the longest and the instrumentation may not be the most awe-inspiring but for the two minutes it goes it does everything it can to try to make you forget about the last track. It has passages that race along as you try to keep up and others that feel like they’re descending from the clouds, all throughout keeping a sense of urgency as if the ending has something great waiting for you. It doesn’t, but it doesn’t screw up at any point so I take that as a positive.

7/10

B.M. Metamorphose –another side-

The –murder side- version of this song slaughters eardrums and isn’t a worthy comparison to this one. This completely trumps the A-side and runs the gamut from slower, acoustic-backed portions to feral screams backed by hard guitars. Genki’s screams also come in at some of the most unexpected parts here, but it goes from a sparing use at the beginning to a near overload at some parts, which isn’t exactly the best route to take with a song like this. He didn’t screw it up too much, especially because the chorus is growl-laden, but a little bit less of it would have been equally as good. The only fault is the drums, which don’t sound as sharp as they could. It has a similar sound and tempo to Vortex, but it cuts out all the annoying shit and gets it right. I would have been fine with this as the A-side in all honesty.

8/10



Thank god that is over and done with, because I was not looking forward to doing this single at all (and no, I don't think my opinion will change at all, so this is the first and last time I'll have to see those repulsive feet on my blog). The cover scares the living shit out of me and the first track turned me off from the rest of the single. Why? Because looks matter people. That's why visual kei bands dress up in fugly costumes. They want to get your attention so you'll give them more than a passing glance, and anyone that thinks that looks don't matter need to get smacked and awakened. Looks do matter, and that's why I hated this single.

Then I found out that the B-sides are infinitely more accessible than the trash that occupies the first three minutes of this track. Forget the first track, go to two, don't download the album cover. Save some kittens.

Recommended:

not Vortex

Score: 63%

No comments:

Post a Comment