Sunday, July 12, 2009

Review: MUCC - Ryuusei

If you're wondering where this single came from, it's because I scrolled randomly until I came across a random cover and this happened to be second. I pulled up Tsume Tsume Tsume first and I had already done it so I went again. So, for no apparent reason, I'm doing Ryuusei.

I also think it's time I try a new format out ;D

http://www.jame-world.com/_pic/itm/8484.jpg
01. Ryuusei
02. Bokura no Kage
03. Daikirai -2006-

01. Ryuusei

I actually liked this song a lot more than I originally thought I would. Translating as “Falling Stars” it’s a softer single and it includes some piano and acoustic strumming throughout. YUKKE’s bass and SATOchi’s drumming supports the track throughout and without them the track would feel rather empty since it doesn’t have the usual “loud” factor that most MUCC tracks have. The few portions with Miya’s electric guitar don’t create a feeling of alienation because it’s tuned lighter and its whiny tune fits the subdued feeling of the track. Tatsurou’s voice is consistent throughout and it slides into the track seamlessly. Lyrically I believe it’s somewhere between an apology and a love song and there’s nothing depressing about this song at all, which makes me like it even more. It’s at it’s strongest during the chorus. The transitions from verse to chorus are smooth and I find the chorus more audible than poppy so I can stand it.

9/10

02. Bokura no Kage

YUKKE’s bass was the first thing that jumped out to me in this track. The overall tone is melancholic and the lyrics are about the end of a relationship. The title translates as “Our Shadow” Lyrically, this song is the polar opposite and a perfect complement to Ryuusei. Musically, it’s almost a continuation of Ryuusei as it keeps the same subdued tone but it incorporates more electric guitar. Tatsurou’s voice is the strongest instrument, and it shows after the solo. I don’t know what to call it but it has a particular quality that fits best in this track. He later goes on to top himself near the end with his increasingly wrathful singing. My favorite part of this track is the last minute or so, when the guitar is playing and it sounds like it’s dueling with himself. Another great song.

9/10

03. Daikirai -2006-

I enjoy this song solely because it sounds like the boys are having fun. Lyrically, this song marks the general transition this album follows from tender love into passionate hate. Daikirai translates as “big hate” or “I hate you” or whatnot. Basically, a lot of hate because Tatsurou hates someone. It’s a re-recording of the original found on the “Fu wo Tataeru Uta” single and it excels the original with better recording quality, a few extra musical bits thrown in certain places and Tatsurou’s improved vocals with no more sloppy tics. It especially shows in the middle, where it sounded like the boys almost lost it in the original but here they keep it altogether. The music video is entertaining and the song fits in lyrically, but other than for some comedic value or to burn off some steam this song isn’t very creative.

6/10


Download:
- Ryuusei
- Bokura no Kage

Rating 80%

No comments:

Post a Comment