Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Review: Nega - Nameless alice

I just realized that if I don't do this by the 22nd this would become redundant.


1. Nameless alice

It's definitely a different sound from Nega, and with everything considered they didn't do this too badly. Compared to dig and ill it's way better. Even as I go back and listen over parts of it I discover new things, like the little part with the guitar in my right ear during the second verse. Nameless alice feels like a mix between jazz, rock, and country and the three styles work rather well together in this song. The verses are bass heavy with Jin's vocals alternating between ears and relying on effects. Jin's unusual voice suits the atmosphere of the song well and his annoying yells aren't present, although there is a portion where he goes apeshit in the background while he sings. The solo is one half-rockerish, one half jazz inspired and it remains complex while not abandoning the core sound of this song. My only doubts at this point are whether or not it will fit on the album, but as a standalone song it's pretty good to listen to. 80%.

I should also mention this single is free to download on their website. Normally I would link to a file itself but their home page could use more visits so click here and rummage around a bit to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment