Friday, July 31, 2009

Review: Shinkou Shuukyou Gakudan NoGoD - Ten

As a single, Ten has always remained quite faceless to me. The tracklist consists of two songs that I'm not particularly fond of and Rinne Tenshou, which I got to on Mugen Kyou first. What results is me looking at this CD as a very obsolete addition to my NoGoD collection. However, re-recordings are always nice, but I would have preferred it if I actually liked the songs they re-recorded. They aren't crappy, but I'm just not into poppy NoGoD.


http://japanesemusicdream.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/cd103.jpg

01. Kimi ni Okuru Bukiyou de Migatte na Toki
02. Saishiro
03. Rinne Tenshou

Kimi ni Okuru Bukiyou de Migatte na Toki

How many times will NoGoD insist on covering this Dagger Remain song? It’s not technically their song even -_-. Well, whenever you’re in doubt I guess you could always return to this song since it’s their first single and most people don’t have the Dagger Remain EP this came off of. I’d rather they cover this than some of the other crap that was on Tenbatsu Enban and it’s a universally understood NoGoD theme so it’s a good business decision to cover. Anyway, this was redone because Shinno joined the band and they wanted to redefine their sound into something listenable. If you go through the progression of “migattena’s” you can see that this was how the song was supposed to sound all along and it just took them four tries to get it right. This song is an accurate representation of NoGoD’s poppier style of music, and some of the touches I see are an acoustic solo in place of the guitar one on the last three, the louder and more prominent bass, and the little frills Shinno throws into the mix. Danchou still overlays his voice in the chorus but it’s artfully done and doesn’t sound as much of a demo as it did the last time. Since it’s the same song essentially done better, it gets the same score but higher.

8/10

Sai Shiro

Was never a fan of this song, but there wasn’t much they could redo that would be listenable. Why they chose this song I will never know. Geh. It jumps right into the acoustics and foregoes bells and other crap. Other than sounding clearer, better vocals, having a better ending, and cutting out an instrumental portion before the solo somewhat I don’t sense much of a difference between the two versions. If I ever had to listen to a version though, I would prefer this one. I'll say it again though: listen and see for yourself because I don't remember this song when it finishes. It's pretty and nice sounding but forgettable.

7/10

Rinne Tenshou

Rinne Tenshou is the only “new” song on this CD, and quite possibly intended to be the single. There is an epic feel to this piece of music, despite the overall quiet nature surrounding the song. The guitars in this song are just beautiful, as notes are hit in such ways that make me scream in silence. It sends shivers up and down my back imagining their fingers moving so fast and creating something so serene an quiet. With a title that translates as Transmigration of Souls, it feels like the spirits are moving around in this song. Or at least that’s the feel I get. It may be a little lengthy, but a good song is always a good song.

9/10



So while I feel that it's a wasted single, I'm just of the mind that fans of the harder side of NoGoD such as myself aren't going to enjoy this single as much. If you liked the first two songs when they were on Tenbatsu Enban, then you'll like them even more here with all the pretty touches that they've been given. If you like Rinne Tenshou, pick up Mugen Kyou. Before this review, I had never touched Ten, and after this review I don't have a reason to go back and listen again. Kanna Fukyou > this every day of the week.

Recommended:

Kanna Fukyou, Mugen Kyou

Score: 80%

No comments:

Post a Comment